Sunday, October 3, 2010

Strategic Planning, More PMF whining.

In the nonprofit and corporate world, I've come to learn that all functioning, reputable organizations have a "strategic plan." Strategic plans are usually established every year or two and outline the organization's short term and long term goals. Most importantly, the strategic plan also establishes the guideposts which help insiders and outsiders measure the organization's progress towards these goals.

Last week, I mentioned to my BFF that I thought all grad students would benefit from personal strategic planning. Reflecting on what I wanted to accomplish and how I wanted to accomplish it would have helped me decide against many useless classes and grant applications. I am convinced my Honey's job hired him, even though he had no experience with this field, because he expressed a clear personal "strategic plan." Finally during this morning's run (the only thing keeping me from becoming a raving alcoholic during this final dissertation stretch), I started to think about my own strategic plan.

I had done something like this in the spring, though I don't think I wrote about it here. Basically back then it was a quick exercise of "for the next 5 years, what goals do I have and what do I need to do to get there?" Top of my list was "not live in my parents' basement" and "get a job." So far I am succeeding on both counts. Yippee!

Today's list was just as big picture, but I began to set the bar a little higher this time. Now that I'm employed (even if it is part time), I'm realizing having a job is awesome, but having a job with benefits and retirement is awesomer. It's nice to be working myself out of debt, but earning enough cheddar to be debt-free and still have money for the occasional vacation would be nicer. Etc. etc.

In light of my new goals--benefits, retirement, big bucks--I'm realizing that I may need to explore other employment options down the line. My current job is fabulous, but it is universally acknowledged among my fellow workerbees and even the associate director that the pay isn't fantastic. And there is no retirement plan. (I never realized what a big deal retirement plans were until Honey started working fulltime as a phone jockey at a statewide retirement system. They are a huge deal and something we need to worry about).

So with my new strategic plan in place, I decided to go ahead and do the PMF. As many of Leadfoot readers may recall, I was super pumped about the PMF this past spring.
Then I got a sweet job and I became less keen about it. Then I started thinking about it again.

Basically the PMF provides one guaranteed route to the job security and benefits that I want. I'm still unsure if the PMF-pipeline is what I really want to do, and Honey is supportive, though rightfully concerned that I will have to move away for a long time. But I figure I don't have to make any permanent decisions right now. I'm keeping all my options open, and with such a perfect one as the PMF, I figure I'd be silly not to at least try for it.

Stay tuned. I received some decent intel on the PMF application (including this awesome guest post from earlier this year) but as I start to work on it this week, I'm sure I'll be learning lots more. Until then, may the strategic planning force be with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment