Tuesday, September 21, 2010

"I've never done this before"

Whoa, so it's been almost a month since I've last been here...? Uh, I haven't forgotten about you. I swear.

Anyway, here's just a tidbit for the moment.

Most magical words to date: "I've never done this before."

Say, for example, your boss asks you to write up an agenda and workplan for a project. Say you have no idea what these things are. Your options are likely:
a) pretend to know what she's talking about and make up something you think she wants
b) consult coworkers and hope they know what she's talking about
c) try to cover your rear when she's like "this made up stuff you and your coworker came up with isn't what I wanted"
or
d) say "I've never written an agenda or workplan. What goes on those?"

I plan to ride this horse for the next 3 months at least.

1 comment:

  1. the only female maintenance worker at the last apt i lived in taught me this lesson in humble efficiency. i asked for assistance installing a swag hook in the ceiling. while yielding a drill and never ceasing to probe about my interest in women, she said "i'm not familiar with this [item]". i showed her and she did the job. while we both learned from this, i took away a lesson larger than that toggle nut. ...and don't they say that smart people aren't afraid to ask questions? somehow asking questions is supposed to make you look smart, even if you don't feel it!

    ReplyDelete