Saturday, August 28, 2010

Getting Help as a Small Business Owner

*Disclaimer, I wrote this two weeks ago, just before the vphd discussion on entrepreneurship started (and quickly fizzled out). I didn't find many of the posts particularly helpful in terms of nuts-and-bolts, but you might also check out that discussion board for more resources.

Several months ago, I posted on entrepreneuralism. Since being at my new Job, I've been learning about state resources available to folks who want to start their own business. I'm not sure if all these resources exist in every state, but versions of them certainly do.

On a related note, I recently found out that if you own a "business" (i.e. have a business name and email) you can get discounts from Enterprise on car rentals. I must continue to investigate where else I can flash my "business owner" creds and get perks and discounts. Whahaha.

Anyway, from the state, there is the small business administration and departments of development (or some similar branch) that administers small business development centers. A equivalent quasi-state entity is a local business incubator. The state-level programs often have targeted funding programs, often for green/clean energy and new kinds of technology.

From nonstate sources, there are organizations that provide venture capital. Some are targeted for particular kinds of owners or types of business or location. It seems like every larger city has a coalition of grant makers. The catch with venture capital and angel investors is that they often want to fund new-technology types of things, i.e. you need a background in science, technology, engineering or math. But don't despair all you humanistically-inclined folks, the science geeks need directors of communication and managers and researchers who find them the money and write them their grants. Critical thinking social scientists and humanists + STEM nerds=potentially awesome combo.

All these small business resources are applicable (usually) to nonprofit organizations. I haven't learned as much about nonprofit formation and funding, but as I do, I'll be sure to share that information as well.

1 comment:

  1. DO you know about the Academy of ENtrepreneurial Leadership (AEL) at the U of I? It may be worth checking their web page. Also check the website of the Kauffman Foundation (in Kansas City)

    ReplyDelete