Friday, August 20, 2010

Welcome to the "Real World": Student Loan Repayment

Ooops, I hadn't realized that quite so much time had passed since my last post...

I'm in the midst of working up a new post but keep getting sidetracked by dissertation chapters and work and other life stuff.

Including figuring out the registration game for my last semester ever (fingers crossed!) and how to defer my student loans a little longer.

You know that rumor that was going around recently that said if we worked for the government or a nonprofit organization [i.e. 501(c)(3)] we could get our student loans forgiven after 10 years? Totally true and I finally found the paperwork that explains it. Biggest problem I see at the moment is that we have to be working 30 hours a week at one (or a combo) of nonprofits/public service. I'm currently working 20 hours a week at my 501(c)(3) employer. Hopefully I can fix that soon.

Here's another resource regarding student loan repayment: the Income Based Repayment info website. I believe they're run by a bunch of former grad students. I'm on their listserv which sends out the occasional notice or FYI. I definitely recommend getting on their list (seriously, they send emails less than once a month) and their website has a lot of great info.

Hope to have more info regarding loan repayment programs as the time come closer for me. Sigh. Will be sharing that, I'm sure.

Another post to come (hopefully!) this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment