Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Current Job Fantasy: PMF

I am convinced that the presidential management fellowship program is my ticket to awesome careerdom. I think the PMF (for those in the know) is going to get me the perfect job, in the perfect locale, and with the perfect benefits package and compensation.

Clearly I don't know much about this program. But I'm learning. See a more recent post here. Alternatively, you can click the PMF tag at the end of this post and see all posts tagged with PMF.

That's okay, because I'm going to continue doing my research and adding more info here.

Per their website, "the purpose of the Program is to attract to the Federal service outstanding men and women from a variety of academic disciplines and career paths who have a clear interest in, and commitment to, excellence in the leadership and management of public policies and programs."

Translation: this program is only open to soon-to-be PhDs and we are going to put you in high level internships.

My awesome Career Services (CS) people told me that the PMF is the flagship program to place PhDs into the federal government. If you jump all the PMF application hoops (more below) then you serve a two year internship with a department/cabinet. After your two year stint (which includes learning office culture, classroom training, on-the-job training, etc) you will likely be "converted" (another PMF lingobit I learned) to a FT gig. A recent PMFer from my school apparently did his internship with Social Security. Three years later he's in charge of a gazillion dollar budget (okay, I think it was more like a $3billion budget. Whateva, a hell of a lot of money) and oversees offices in 6 or 9 states. Three years. That's crazy!

It's a long shot, since everyone else thinks it's their dream job too.

Recent Stats:
"The Program has seen an increase in the number of applicants. The number of applicants has ranged from approximately 3,000 to more than 5,000, and the number of finalists has varied from 535 to 784. For the past three years, approximately 60% obtained appointments as Fellows. 2009 we received more than 8,700 applications" (Q14)

Still I'm totally game to try it.

Here's how the PMF worked last year (or so I know so far).

(Dates for last year, likely to be the same this year)
10/1/09-application opens via usajobs.gov
10/15/09—application closes.
10/31/09—deadline for nomination support letters

First step: Basically you have to be nominated to take the PMF test. Most nominees are advanced to the test, I think. The nomination is, from I think what the CS people said, basically a form your depthead signs and maybe the Grad College dean. You don't even need to get your advisor involved (yes!!).

So I guess the Oct app is the nomination stuff and basic contact intake. (??)

CS folks at my University will hold a prep session with PMF hopefuls (via teleconferencing!!) in September. At this we can talk with recent PMFs from the U and ask questions about the test and the process. I am told that ~17 folks from my school have made it in the last several years. Several lawyers, one or two folks from Library Sci, maybe a crop scientist? A social worker, maybe edu people?

At some point, we take the test which I'm told is like the LSAT. I'm not sure what kind of prep we can do for the test--this will
become clear from the PMF teleconference I suppose, although I plan to get more info before spring semester ends.

If you are a lucky one to get accepted (based on test scores???) there is an interview process/job fair. I suspect there is much more between test and job fair, but not sure what. The job fair is where agencies and PMFers mutually shop each other to find a good fit.

Once you get your agency it's a 2yr fasttracked internship to green pastures and changing the man from the inside out.

No comments:

Post a Comment