Saturday, August 28, 2010

Happily Employed and Hunting

I keep having these blog post ideas and then three days (okay, weeks) later when I finally get some time and energy I forgot what I wanted to write... fabulous.

Lately I've been thinking about where I want to work next. Don't get me wrong, I love love love my new job. I really do. I get bummed the days I don't work, and that's not just because that means it's a dissertation writing day. But nothing is ever secure and it's always good to have something in our back pockets. Just in case.

I swear Bolle gave the advice that as soon as you finish your first day of work, start looking for a new job. I can't find the exact citation (perhaps it was in a different edition from the one I own) but he does say in the book I have:

"Successful job-hunters and career-changers always have alternatives." He goes on to list different kinds of alternatives, including: "Alternatives of what they could do with their life." "Alternative job prospects." "Alternative 'target' organizations that they go after." (See p. 112 of the 2010 edition for a comprehensive list and discussion of "alternatives.")

In this spirit, I have been on the hunt for jobs in my new City. Not in any serious kind of way, but I've been keeping my eyes open as I maintain my RSS feeds on federal jobs and Idealist jobs in City, walk around town, and learn about other groups my Job collaborates with. It's incredible the different potential employers I keep seeing as I walk to the bus or ride the bus.

Literally, I've added 5 organizations in the last month just by walking by a sign on my way to elsewhere. Granted I live in a City where what I want to do (research, policy, writing, applied work, etc.) is valued by nonprofit and government players. But it's also a matter of actually seeing a sign for a place that isn't easily google-able. For example, I keep running into places that I never even would have imagined existed (ex. an economic analysis and public policy research firm) and so would have never even googled in the first place. These places also have weirdly named websites or are miscategorized in google searches. There is something to be said about locating to your locale of choice and beginning your job search once in town.

I'm also learning about other organizations through my current employer. Like any activity (graduate school, music scene, barhopping) there are circles and everybody knows each other in these circles. They also know folks in other related circles. These other organizations and individuals come up in the flow of work conversation. It's not like I'm scribbling down names, but I am keeping tabs on who my Job interacts with and who I think is cool.


This "job search" is just me keeping a "hunting" eye on my world. I'm not actively seeking job, but am just trying to stay informed and up to date on what the general trends are and what is available in town.

As before, I've been tracking these places in a spreadsheet--name, website, mission statement. This time I'm also including physical addresses and notes like "never ever work here" and "hmmm, maybe". I'm including places on the list that I'll never work for as a way to get a lay of the land, but also so I don't have to repeat my (5 minute) research next year when I have forgotten what these groups are about.

On a related note, I see that the PMF application period opens in 6 weeks (October 1-15, 2010). My university is holding an informational session in a few weeks about the whole process and I'm debating if I should apply for it or not. On the one hand (assuming I pass the tests, etc.) being a PMF finalist could be an excellent bargaining chip on the job front--for either current or future employers. And, of course, I could also actually take a federal job... On the other hand, that seems like a lot of work just for a possible job and/or bargaining chip. And Honey has already said "you just got here, you want to leave again?" Oh, and I want to also finish my dissertation in the next 8 weeks. So uh, I'm going to be a little busy during the PMF application cycle. Still deciding on this.

So the hunt continues, even as I remain happily employed.

2 comments:

  1. this post and the post a couple before this confirm my suspicion: there is no such thing anymore as a 'career' where you take a job and stay in it forever and that becomes your identity. i think The Career ideal is going to die out with our parents' generation. in the meantime, i'm getting copies of 'Parachute' (thanks for the heads up on the job lit!) and 'Zen and the Art of Making a Living'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oooh, you'll have to do a guest book review on the Zen and the Art of Making a Living!

    I totally agree with you that The Career will probably end with the boomer generation. That's probably why grad students have such a hard time transitioning to alt-acad--this world has no easy labels or pat, unwavering identities.

    ReplyDelete