Thursday, December 30, 2010

Federal Employment, PMF

Ha! So my plan to post more frequently was clearly one of my more public delusional moments... Oh well, I can dream, right?

First off, I should let you know that I was not forwarded onto the next round for the PMF. Hold the tears because seriously, I am super okay with this. I've been a bit busy this year (see: moving, getting new real job, finishing dissertation, plus recurrent family emergencies). I'm ready for a 12 month break from the crazy.

Plus I really like my current job and new City that I'm starting to call home. Uprooting self, Honey, and 2 cats to where ever (or temporarily leaving behind Honey + furballs) would have sucked. Best of luck to the PMFers who moved forward, and here's hoping those of us who were cut are at peace with that.

I got the PMF news before Christmas, but before I even really began making my list of "other things to do besides obsess about PMF," I saw this new and exciting Executive Order from the President. This Order, from December 27, mandates the Federal Government "make necessary an exception to the competitive hiring rules for certain positions in the Federal civil service" for students and recent graduates.

In other words--the Order provides even more ways for students and recent graduates to enter the federal workforce. Yippee!

Collectively the PMF, a newly established Internship program and a newly formed Recent Graduates program will be known as the Pathways Programs. This program is so new, that I can't even provide links to more detailed descriptions than what is found in the Exec Order.

Am excited about Recent Graduates program, especially its stipulation that "participants in the program[...]must have obtained a qualifying degree, or completed a qualifying career or technical education program, as determined by OPM, within the preceding 2 years".

Booyah, I technically graduate May 2011. Therefore I'm eligible until May 2013.

Bring it in federal government. I'm talking to you HUD.

No comments:

Post a Comment