1) my work business cards finally arrived. It's so freaking awesome to see my name on something else besides a university business card. Plus trading "graduate student" for "grants and select projects coordinator" is way cool. [for inquiring minds, I did not include my academic letters on the card--no other MA+ holder in the office uses them and in my former job at an academic press, my boss there said that including academic credentials is pretentious. Not that she was the end all be all, but I figure I'd play it safe.]
2) Associate Director announced she is leaving in 2 weeks!
3) Boss pulled me aside after announcement and asked me how soon I can go full time.
Booyah!
I think departure of Associate Director has thrown my Boss for a major loop. It will be throwing all of us for a serious headtrip. Associate Director is super competent, seemingly does the job of three people and basically keeps our office from going completely off the rails.
When Boss pulled me aside (literally, it was a 2 minute conversation between meetings), she said they weren't planning on hiring a new person to replace AD, but that her tasks would be distributed among the rest of us. So, uh, I can go Full Time right?
Boss said that with me going FT I'd do a lot of the planning for this mega event in summer and take on some of Associate Director's other jobs. Plus, "now that you'll be fully here, I have several projects in mind for you, Leadfoot".
Boss was quite regretful that I wasn't going to start FT for another week or so (she has to look at our budget and do some other administrative stuff). Waiting a few weeks is all good--I still have to finish my dissertation revisions. Jeez oh jeez.
So I have a verbal offer for FT and a meeting scheduled for next week to discuss my transition to FT and my new additional duties.
Am still debating whether to bring up the salary bump or to wait a few months in my new role. I've been reading a bunch of personal finance books lately (more on that in another post) and my new BFF Suze Orman (yes that blond chick. don't laugh) counsels "putting in your time" and earning your raise by demonstrating your strong work ethic, etc. etc.
I'm not so sure if Suze is right on this, but her comments have made me pause--am I in a better position to negotiate a salary raise now or after a few months on the job....?
Fingers crossed for written offer next week, yippee!
No comments:
Post a Comment