Saturday, November 27, 2010

More Job Leads

Last week the Chronicle of Higher Education had this great article about anthropologists working outside of academia (props to Career Services Advisor for forwarding along this article to me).

The article did an excellent job interviewing practicing and applied anthropologists It also did a great job hyping up the American Anthropological Association's attempts to integrate alt-acads with acads—a project that is minimally successful, as far as I can tell. All I can say is that at the conference, the alt-academic career fair was pitiful.

However, while at the AAAs, I also had coffee with a colleague. She's starting to write her dissertation while her hard social scientist husband is starting his new numbers-crunching job at a high-powered research firm (again Leadfoot cursing her decision to not learn statistics). Colleague and I were talking about finding alt-academic jobs for the non-numbers set and swapping resources.

So here's some more workplaces that may have the occasional-regular opening for us social science and humanities PhDs.

Abt Associates. Colleague tells me that they specialize in federal government contracts, but specifically do not do military-related contracts. In the words of Cartman: sweeeeeet.

Battelle Memorial Institute. Not so sure about this one. I only say this because locals that live near their headquarters say they have no idea what goes on there. Still, one of the alt-academic anthropologists in the CHE article worked there for 25 years.

And of course, an oldie but a goodie: Federal Government.

No comments:

Post a Comment